Grange Cochard was built in 1759 but sits on older Roman foundations. The lane outside the house is little used today but it was a major route featuring on the Antonine maps of 280 AD. In medieval times, the house was a staging post of the Knights Hospitaller, who sheltered pilgrims on their way from Autun & Cluny, to Lyon and beyond. The vineyard today represents some of the finest in the area, including the prestigious Côte du Py, the ancient volcanic outcrop first planted by the Romans. Our current 8hc of vines are between 40 and 100 years of age. These gnarled and twisted plants give low yields, great intensity and complexity, with deeply penetrating root systems. Outside, in the park surrounding the chateau are numerous unusual trees planted in the middle of the nineteenth century as an arboretum. They lead down to the Morsille, a stream which comes from the hills above us and forms a wildlife corridor down to the river Sâone.